Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ron Asheton R.I.P. (1948-2009)

At 60.

I know I'm about a month late when I read it in the Rolling Stone.  What can I say, I live in a cave. "SHIT!"  that's what I said as I turned to the page with Iggy Pop's tribute on it late last night--effectively waking my roommate.

This is really bad news.  I've seen the Stooges 4 times now.  In fact, I just saw them a few months ago.  I don't think I willingly passed up an single opportunity to see them live.  From 1969 and up ALL of the generations of rock music I listen to are all inherently influenced by Ron's guitar playing--myself included.  

Even with his minimalistic playing I was never happy with the results when covering a song like No Fun.  Perhaps I have to hit the other A chord.

No one did it better and no one ever will.


No comments: